IBM Guardium Data Protection Review

Supports security initiatives and ensures compliance policies, but ​It will not work as fast as you want

What is our primary use case?

Database activity management to ensure compliance audit regulations. It is also to manage risk. It is performing well, but we have a large journey to go.

How has it helped my organization?

Previously, we had no monitoring for our databases. Now, we have the ability to  begin to understand how people, applications, and service accounts are interacting with data to better protect it.

We use IBM Guardium to support security initiatives and compliance policies.

We have integrated IBM Guardium with QRadar.

What is most valuable?

Being able to go back to see what people are touching, and when they are touching it, then look at the risk of who is touching what and how they are touching the data. This will give us a better understanding of how people interact with our data.

We do not use many of the advance features, but we will soon. We are looking at Sensitive Data and User Behavior Analytics.

What needs improvement?

It will not go as fast as you want.

We are about 50 to 60 percent there. A lot of that has to do with us implementing it a little better, and redesigning what we thought would be their protection. We need to do a bit more efficient architecture, as some things are coming down the pipeline for the roadmap of the product.

The scalability is not an issue, though it is not the easiest thing to scale. However, I seen the coming roadmap, where the scalability will be easier.

I would rate technical support as fair. Unfortunately, it takes time to figure out an answer to our issues, because they are unique, not just a standard answer.

It is very complex.

Pushing agents and tabs seems pretty standard from a technical perspective. Once you start interacting with people's databases, they get very hesitant. Then, the amount of social tasks to socialize the solution ensuring people are comfortable with it became a much heavier lift.

What other advice do I have?

There are a lot of things that could be better, but it is performing pretty well.

Take your time and learn each step. Make sure that you understand each step, because if you miss something, it will come back. Then, you have to circle back and figure it out anyway.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor:

• Price
  • Support
  • Reliability in the marketplace
  • Integration with other systems.