IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Review

Learning the languages that interface with CPLEX allows you to customize it

What is our primary use case?

This is for research, I try to develop some optimization models. I solve the problem, I write in Python, and then interface with the CPLEX package. The performance has been pretty good. I think the speed is pretty fast, although I think the interface with Python is not as friendly, because the way that you put in the data is not that intuitive.

What is most valuable?

Usually it solves problems really fast, so that's what's most important to me.

How has it helped my organization?

It definitely helps because it's a solver, I can just plug in and use. It's a tool that I have to use, basically.

What needs improvement?

Maybe they already have it, but I would love to work with something with a direct GUI, instead of interfacing with Python. But my experience is only interfacing with Python.

I think it's pretty stable.

I haven't tried really, really big problems, so for your everyday problem it's fine.

But I did have some problems with error messages where, for example, it's infeasible, but instead of telling you it's infeasible it will give you something else.

I haven't used it.

I also use Gurobi sometimes. I think the university picked CPLEX just because we have a license.

I wasn't involved. It's all set up on the school server, so I just call it.

What other advice do I have?

Learn how to use languages that interface with CPLEX, because then you can get very customized.