IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Review

Easy to write code and interpret the results; performance is good

What is our primary use case?

To solve LPN-IP. Performance was pretty good. I had some problems with solving one problem, but the problem was because of my formulation. Once I added it, it worked very well.

What is most valuable?

I have experience in Xpress and Gurobi, also. It is easy to write a code in CPLEX. That's a valuable thing.

How has it helped my organization?

What I'm doing is finding some clusters in a network. I'll build a model and apply  it to CPLEX and find some clusters. I can interpret some useful meanings about that.

What needs improvement?

What I'm looking for is actually nonlinear programming. I don't think CPLEX has that. There are some nonlinear program solvers in open source but they don't work well. So if some major commercial solver corporation has that option, it could be very useful.

Stability is fine. It's reasonable. Most of the problems are getting slower if I increase the number of nodes or something, but it's a typical thing.

I haven't used it.

Xpress and Gurobi. I'm not switching. It depends on the project. I can use all of them.

I wasn't involved. Not in upgrades either. There is just  one size installed. I use it every time.

What other advice do I have?

I think CPLEX is the most familiar, other than Xpress and Gurobi. So, it is easy to recommend to others for general use. If they want some specific options or something then, I have to look for a manual.