IBM ILOG CPLEX Optimization Studio Review

Easy-to-use interface and the speed have helped me in my integer research

What is our primary use case?

I use it primarily for my research. My research involves a lot of solving, a lot of integer programs and linear programs, and I primarily use CPLEX for doing that.

It has been very good for me. It has helped me a lot in my research.

What is most valuable?

I think the speed, compared to other competitive software, is one of the things that I really like about CPLEX.

It also provides a very easy to use interface.

How has it helped my organization?

There is not much coding overhead to solve multi-dimensional problems. It allows me to just focus on the actual problem and not coding.

What needs improvement?

I'm pretty happy with the current release because I don't use a lot of fancy features of CPLEX. I use it just if I have to solve a linear program or I have to solve an integer problem.

There are some very rare cases when some integer programming problems are performed better by Gurobi compared to CPLEX, but it happens very rarely.

I have not faced any issues with instability in CPLEX. My problem-size is not that big. I'm not trying to explain super large problems.

I haven't used it.

Yes, I switched between Gurobi and CPLEX for a while there.

I wasn't involved.

What other advice do I have?

I would strongly recommend using CPLEX as a problem solver. As I said earlier, in some cases - and I've heard this from some of my colleagues who have faced this problem - in somewhat large integer programming problems, Gurobi performs better in respects, but for me my problem size is not that big. For me they're both competitive to each other.