What is most valuable?
- High performance on OTLP environment, but depends on application design.
- Data compression for enterprise version with data deduplication.
- Provides solutions for making data highly available, with data replication configuration (HDR, RS, and SD) and ER (Enterprise Replication) for different scenarios.
- The Informix Flexible Grid eliminates the administrative complexity of ER. Flexible Grid provides the ability to automatically create database objects, such as tables, indexes, and stored procedures on all nodes within the grid as a single operation.
How has it helped my organization?
Initially, we had an ER configuration, then we moved to an HDR. In both cases, it allowed us to recover from a failure in the main server.
What needs improvement?
On the part of our development area, a feature that has another product with the SQL clause update from with several INNER JOIN.
To require an example, you confirm to send it.
For how long have I used the solution?
I've used this solution for eight years approximately. When I took over as a DBA, we were with version 9 (named Informix Workgroup version).
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
No. So far, it has responded very well
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
No. We switched from licensing to enterprise because we grew in users and required more memory.
We are growing in data and it is easy to increase the storage space (DB spaces and chunks).
How are customer service and technical support?
Which solution did I use previously and why did I switch?
We had another platform which was centralized (nine years ago). Currently, the transactions are online.
How was the initial setup?
The initial setup was done for the partner Informix, I would say half & half (half straightforward, half complex) because you must know certain commands of the operating system where it will be installed.
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
I have not managed the costs, but depending on the characteristics they wish to exploit and the number of users connected, they can opt for connection-based or server-based licensing if there are about 300 users evaluating license per server.
Informix Innovator-C Edition - Free
- Small and medium-sized enterprises (including replication and some clustering benefits).
- Limited to one core and 2GB of memory.
Informix Advanced Workgroup Edition - Payment
- Small and medium-sized enterprises
- This edition is limited to 16 cores with a maximum of 48GB of memory and does not support clustering features.
- Supports spatial data stores.
Informix Enterprise Edition - Payment
- It allows you to use an unlimited amount of data storage, processors, and memory.
- Informix Ultimate Edition includes cluster functions and IBM Informix Flexible Grid functionality.
Informix Advanced Enterprise Edition - Payment
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
The product has been available for approximately 19 years, since it is part of the system that the company bought.
What other advice do I have?
The server must have the necessary memory, processing, and storage (depending on available infrastructure) in order to be scalable by users' consumption of resources.
If the bases are large, it is advisable to place them in separate dB spaces. If necessary, indices also separate them.
Have a disaster recovery plan.
Define if the information is critical: a high availability of the same (HDR, RS, and SS).