IBM InfoSphere BigInsights Review

It enabled us to process low-level detailed transactional data that previously was not processed. I'd like to see faster execution time.

Valuable Features

It integrates with JSqsh, enabling us to submit long-running exports from the shell. Also, the automated user acceptance testing suite is extremely useful as we can follow through the state of UAT process.

Improvements to My Organization

Room for Improvement

I'd like to see faster execution time, especially for simple queries that don't touch on many rows and don't involve many operations (Joins, Unions, Groupbys).

Use of Solution

I used if for six months mainly for enriching our other data sources with data extracted from BigInsights. Thus my use case was exporting Big SQL queries that include joining into flat files and doing the UAT of the product.

No issues encountered.

8/10 - when they could not help was mainly due to resource limitations or missing data.

I don't know, initial setup was not done by me.

Implementation Team

Implemented by IBM.

Other Solutions Considered

Didn't evaluate another solution, BigInsights was already in use in the company.

Other Advice

You should evaluate other analytics-on-Hadoop solutions too, and convince yourself that your choice will deliver the best value for money.

You should verify and double-verify test cases before proceeding with UAT. Ask yourself, are the cases really testing what you want the solution to deliver?