IBM InfoSphere BigInsights Review

​The enterprise-ready technologies and capabilities for text analytic and big data analytic features are valuable.

Valuable Features

The enterprise-ready technologies and capabilities for text analytic and big data analytic. The easy way to deploy big data solutions into production is a very desirable feature of this product.

Improvements to My Organization

I led a project in which my company deployed a big data solution in less than four month with a Hadoop cluster of more than 100 datanodes and 3 namenodes to perform big data analytic from datasets extracted of several data sources such as social networks, RFID sensors and other type of sensors.

Room for Improvement

I have discovered most of the features I need in the version 4.0 of this product, but there is always room for improvements, such as getting better performance on Windows based platform and including compatibility with the new frameworks and technologies related to Hadoop ecosystem.

Use of Solution

I have been using it since September 2014.

I encountered issues with having the appropriate documentation resources, as well as getting the right stability when explored virtualized environments based on Virtualbox and HyperV software.

The customer service is very reliable and efficient, I would rate it as 8/10.

Technical support is very reliable and efficient, I would rate it as 8/10.

I previously tried the official Apache Hadoop project and the Apache Spark engine, but based on my personal experience I decided to choose an enterprise-ready platform to deploy my production environment, so I could get access to better technical documentation and a more qualified customer service.

It was complex from a technical point of view, since I didn't have the experience nor the expertise to work in this type of project.

Implementation Team

I chose the in-house implementation, mostly because I had a budget limitation in my company. I did get very valuable advice from IBM customer service and the active Hadoop community which facilitated open-source tools and tips for similar implementations.

ROI

I got almost a 40% ROI which is wonderful. I recommend to think about an enterprise licensing approach depending on how big the project is and its complexity. For small implementations I rather would use 100% open-source tools to reduce the pricing of the desirable solution.

Other Advice

This is a very helpful product, with continuous improvements by IBM and a great customer service which enables easy access to valuable information for both Hadoop developers and system administrators.

Please examine all the tools available on the market, especially the Apache Hadoop project and the Apache Spark engine. The IBM InfoSphere BigInsights product has a educational version, which is great to understand how it works and the flexibility, scalability and maintainability of this product. I have implemented my initial setup in this community version of the BigInsights product, and it worked great for me.