IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

An extract, transform and load solution that is difficult to set up but stable once you do

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution with enterprise customers for ETL (Extract, Transform and Load). The clients are just using it for retail processes.

What is most valuable?

The ETL features are the most valuable to our clients.

What needs improvement?

The product is pretty complex to set up. I think it is quite expensive. So, the set up could be simplified and the price could be brought in line.

I have been using IBM Infosphere for 20 years.

Once you have Infosphere up and running properly, it is stable.

The product is definitely scalable.

We previously worked with DataStage Informatica, we worked with Talend, we worked with SSIS, we looked at a lot of things in the course of providing solutions for customers.

We probably work with SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) more often because it is cheaper and easier to get hold of. More clients run SSIS than most of the others, but then most clients do not have massive workloads that require something more robust.

It is quite a complex tool to set up properly in any environment. It requires someone who has experience with the product.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anyone considering IBM Infosphere Datastage is to use a decent consulting house to help you once you get around to committing to the product. Do not assume that you will be able to go at this alone unless you have an extremely talented staff.

On a scale from one to ten (where one is the worst and ten is the best), I would rate this product as a seven-out-of-ten.

More IBM InfoSphere DataStage reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Informatica PowerCenter
Learn what your peers think about IBM InfoSphere DataStage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
512,711 professionals have used our research since 2012.