IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

Helpful support, and the Hierarchical Data Stage is good

What is our primary use case?

We are a consulting company and we use this solution for our clients. We set up the data for them. We have various healthcare-related information from their vendor and business partners. They have integrated them and get data reports from it.

How has it helped my organization?

It improves how our client's organization functions.

What is most valuable?

We mainly use the designer and developer qualities. We use the basic features that we have.

They have many good features. The Hierarchical Data Stage is good.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs improvement. The interface in Informatica is easier than in DataStage.

The licensing can be improved. Many companies are moving away from DataStage because it is expensive.

The biggest issue that is unclear is how are they integrating into DevOps when they are binary files.

We would like to see DataStage integrated with DevOps so that a pipeline can be created for auto-deployment. Right now we are all doing it manually.

I have been working with IBM InfoSphere DataStage for seven years.

We have the 11.3 version but have recently migrated to the 11.7 version.

It's a stable product, it's not new.

It's very scalable. Our clients are medium-sized companies with a 1.5 billion turnover.

We reached out to IBM because the file was not readable, and they resolved the issue.

Technical support is good. I have not found any issues with technical support. I would rate them an eight out of ten.

In some cases, they have a delay in giving suggestions for the configuration.

Previously, in another company, I worked with Informatica. There are not a lot of differences but the interface is easier than it is in DataStage.

I don't do the setup, but I think that they have many challenges.

Initially, we had challenges with the configuration. We were trying to use the comparison for Excel, and reading the Excel files from the source, but the files were not readable.

It's very expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I am not a developer, I have a team within our company for that.

There is a cloud migration strategy going on, so they are thinking of moving to the cloud. They want a tool that is not heavy and suitable for their budget.

The recommendation for using this tool would depend on the requirements.

I don't have anything bad to say about this product.

11.7
More IBM InfoSphere DataStage reviews from users
...who work at a Computer Software Company
...who compared it with Informatica PowerCenter
Learn what your peers think about IBM InfoSphere DataStage. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
522,281 professionals have used our research since 2012.