IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

What is our primary use case?

Complex data integration projects which require integration from multiple data sources.

How has it helped my organization?

I have worked during many implementations using DataStage. All of the projects that I worked on have been successful. This is due mainly to the strict discipline around best practices, and by following a set of standards and templates designed to reduce complexity and improve automation, including strong reference architecture.

What is most valuable?

• Its parallel processing capability allows you to go through extremely large data sets in no time at all, if you do your job right.
  • Highly customizable: Allowing you to handle multiple data latencies (scheduled batch, on-demand, and real-time) in the same job.
  • High scalability: Start small and go big with the same job. You just need to adjust the configuration file, no need to recompile.
  • Strong metadata management: Business, technical, and process metadata can all be managed from a single place.
  • Ease of integration with other tool sets: Easily supports APIs (or build your own) to support data streaming (or batched) from other systems.
  • Data Quality Management from within the tool: Supporting data sampling, including profiling of data, directly from the development canvas.

What needs improvement?

High-cost of ownership: They could take a page from open source software, such as Talend.

Working with some of the big data components is good, but I can see improvements are needed, such as native support for Spark and HBase.

More than five years.

No issues.

No issues.

Support is always good.

Have used quite a few ETL tools in my job.

• Ab Initio: Even pricier, but has a highly competent ETL tool. It is complete, but hard to use.
  • Informatica: Not as flexible and does not support the same level of complexity in its maps.
  • Talend: It is a good tool suite, extensive, but can be cumbersome to cite all its pieces.
  • ODI: For the Oracle centric world.
  • SSIS: Week when compared to any of the above tool sets.

Depends on type of environment that is being installed. I have seen fairly simple to overly complex initial setups due to the environment, not due to the tool.

Both vendor and in-house team implementations:

IBM has top-notch support and tool services along with other partners as well. Depending on the partner, this can go from installation and configuration to solution development, etc.)

Most in-house teams that I have seen tend to have have good developers, but not always good architects. Like most every data integration project, if you do not have a strong architecture, your solution will eventually fail.

Depends on the project.

Have done many ETL tool evaluations based on client requirements. DataStage has always been in the top-three. It may not have been selected due to different weights being used for different sections of the evaluation for different clients, but it has always been in the top-three consistently.

What other advice do I have?

If you have the budget and your solution requires industrial/enterprise strength data integration, this product is always a good choice.