IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

A solution that is easy to use for designing and transferring data

What is our primary use case?

We implement this solution for our customers. The majority of them are Enterprise companies.

What is most valuable?

This solution is very easy to use because you can design to compile and to run.

The most valuable feature is the ability to transfer information via notes.

What needs improvement?

The documentation and in-application help for this solution need to be improved, especially for new features. By comparison, in Talend, there is help available for all of the features.

One of my clients has a problem using this solution with MongoDB.

In the next release of this solution, I would like to see the ability to copy and paste schemas. It would be very good because as it is now, you have to save the schema to a repository and then re-load it. It can be done in Talend, but in DataStage, it is not as good.

Eight years.

This is a stable solution. You have to be careful when you install a service pack because sometimes it causes problems. There may be a second service pack to solve problems that were introduced by the first one.

Scaling this solution is not difficult. When you first install you chose what components you need. My clients are enterprise companies, with at least five hundred or a thousand employees.

The are several technical support teams, and the quality of support depends on where the customer is situated. Normally, technical support answers quickly, but it can be improved.

The initial setup is not easy. You have to be an expert to install DataStage.

Sometimes I get calls from clients who ask me to install this solution because their Unix administrator is not able to do it. You have to configure your OS, Database, Web server, and more. There are a lot of things to install.

If you are not experienced then it is not possible to install.

Small and medium-sized companies cannot afford to pay for this solution.

This solution is for larger companies. Smaller businesses use Talend.

What other advice do I have?

This is a good product, but there is room for improvement.