IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

A good platform for integrating data and has good ETL features

What is our primary use case?

My company is a consulting firm and I'm a managing partner. We consult for large size companies in the telecommunications, banking and insurance sectors. We partner with IBM. We're not using the latest version of DataStage but one of the more recent ones. I use the product for a migration project. It's a DB2 to Oracle migration project and the source database is mainframe. I need DataStage for that purpose.

What is most valuable?

I think the ETL tools are the most valuable features. It has an IBM tool, a friendly UI and it makes things more comfortable. A second good feature is that after you make some ETLs, migrations source to target, DataStage is capable of providing details and extracting data. The push down feature is also a valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

The price would be the first thing I would want to change. Reduced cost would allow more customers to choose the product. It's quite expensive in relation to the cost of other similar solutions. I think it would also be helpful if the product was more adaptable to other platforms and vendors. I would also like to see an improvement in support.

I've been using the product for more than two years.

The product is stable.

The product is scalable.

We do sometimes have issues in terms of support with regard to IBM products in this country. It's difficult to get what we want and it could really be improved and made more efficient.

I recall that the setup was quite difficult. We had to call in some IBM people. It's possible that they have improved that aspect. I know there's a difference in installation depending on whether it's on-prem or cloud. It's possible that the cloud version is easier to install but I don't have experience with that.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate InfoSphere an eight out of 10.