IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

Good for extracting data from different sources but it has a complicated interface

What is our primary use case?

My customers use it. I don't use this solution. It's used to extract data from several different sources, as well as to store data and load it into a data warehouse.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the product's versatility to inject data.

What needs improvement?

The interface needs improvement. It is really too technical. That is the main problem.

In the next release, they could offer more connectors with the new database, especially cloud databases.

We've been using this solution for five or six years.

It is very stable.

It depends on project and the customer. Mostly, we have three or four developer users. Maybe three people maintain the solution.

Their technical support is very good.

We used Microsoft Talend previously.

The initial setup is quite complex. Actually, it is probably very quick to deploy, but a difficult project. Typical projects about ETL or extracting some information take dozens of days.

What other advice do I have?

Try to do a lot of training before beginning the project.

I would rate this solution as seven out of ten because I think there are some problems with the design of the interface. They should also develop new connectors. The solution is quite complex for people and you need a lot of training to use it.