IBM InfoSphere DataStage Review

It's a good and stable product but performance monitoring could be improved

What is our primary use case?

I'm an enterprise and information architect, and we're a customer of IBM. I personally don't use the product but assist companies in the market do for making the integration picture and design.

What is most valuable?

ETL is the most valuable feature, extract, transform and load.

What needs improvement?

I think that performance monitoring could be improved. I know that my colleagues don't give good monitoring. I'm not sure if it's because of the product or because they don't do it normally, but performance monitoring is an issue. I also believe integration with the cloud is not so clear. It's typically a heavy system that people install on-premise. You can install it in the cloud, but it's not so straightforward. You don't find a lot of information unless you go to the IBM cloud. I think IBM is behind in cloud strategy, we would like to put it in the cloud, but there isn't much information about that.

There are three things that could improve - the cloud, monitoring and cloud integration. It's a solid product but not a modern one and of course it depends what you're looking for.

I've been using this product for 15 years.

In the company I'm working with now you can see it's scalable.

We've been using the product a long time and hardly need technical support, which is great. We have very few problems.

I've never done an installation but I believe it's relatively complex, IBM usually is.

What other advice do I have?

I think DataStage is a product that one should look at as a good candidate in this segment.

I would rate this product a seven out of 10.