IBM InfoSphere Optim Test Data Management Review

We can use match keys and compare the records before and after masking. I would like to see a drop-down like interface to generate a policy for masking.

What is most valuable?

I really appreciate using the match keys and comparing the records before and after masking. This is done by joining multiple tables to form a single record. This helps to get a faster validation of data.

How has it helped my organization?

The product has helped to streamline the Test Data Management (TDM) process. Without this product, participation from several stakeholders such as DBAs, Admins, and the Environment refresh team were required.

What needs improvement?

Scripting complex data masking requirement in Lua can be converted into a simpler, user-friendly interface.

Instead of a free text editor, which is used to code the functions (mostly "if-else" conditions), a drop-down like interface can be created to join various conditions and generate a policy for masking.

I have used the product for three years.

We have not encountered any issues with respect to stability.

We faced some challenges with a combination of complex referential integrity and a higher volume of data.

We have enjoyed excellent technical support.

IBM Optim was the first solution that we used.

This response is specific to a z/OS environment. The initial setup is complex and requires assistance from mainframe administrators.

The initial setup should be made simpler with a step-by-step or a one-click installation guide.

Pricing and licensing is higher compared to other products.

We evaluated and compared three other COTS TDM solutions.

What other advice do I have?

I recommended that others complete a PoC/pilot before starting an implementation. Some of the diverse technology landscape might require a hybrid Test Data Management solution.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Cognizant has partnership with IBM.