IBM Integration Bus Review

Good performance, high-availability features, and provides an easy way to develop integrations

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for this solution is to integrate different applications into the aviation area.

We have an on-premises deployment.

How has it helped my organization?

The whole of the radar data that we receive from the ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) is transformed by the IBM Integration bus.

What is most valuable?

This product provides a relatively easy way to develop integration solutions.

This solution has very good, high-availability features.

From a performance point of view, it's very good and it doesn't need very much in terms of CPU resources.

What needs improvement?

This product uses the PVU (Processor Value Unit) license model from IBM, and it is something that should be improved. It requires you to install monitoring software that ensures you are only using the number of CPUs that you have paid for. This license monitoring tool is very complicated.

I have been using this solution for approximately five years.

This solution is very stable.

We use this solution on a daily basis, and it is very, very important to us.

This solution is very scalable because there are different possibilities available when it comes to scaling it up.

We have two people who do the operating, and there are three to four people who are responsible for the development of the integrations.

I think that the support from IBM is very good for this solution. Usually, they answer very fast.

When I started at the facility, they were using CORBA (Common Object Request Broker) for the integration. It was used very intensively, and the project to introduce this solution was the replacement.

We had a consulting team from IBM on-site to perform the implementation. For the first three years, we had IBM consultants with us to guide us in the development and also in the operating of the solution.

Our licensing is based on a five-year contract, and as far as I know, there are no costs in addition to the standard licensing fee.

We evaluated several similar products including solutions from Oracle and Software AG, and we chose this solution not only because of its technical features but also because of the on-site support that IBM gave us.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody implementing this solution for the first time is to have people from IBM on-site to help you establish the operating procedures and the development procedures.

My understanding is that the new release will have a lot of new features, including support for Docker containers. At this point, I don't have any requirements for the new release. It has also been rebranded.

This is a good solution from a technical and operational point of view, but they should really remove this technically complicated license controlling. It is very complicated software that you have to install.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.