The Lotus Sametime software provided by IBM is chat and messaging software which is widely used over email communications for faster data transfer. There are below pros and cons for this related software:-
Pros:- 1. It provides instant messaging, web conferencing, communications and collaboration for enterprises.
2. This is a client-server application that provides real time, unified communications.
3. It can be integrated with wide variety of software, so stability is high.
4. Support is available from IBM and third party companies for 24 * 7 as it is sold by Lotus Software division of IBM.
5. It provides interoperability with public IM networks via the IBM Sametime Gateway, including AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk and XMPP-based services.
6. It provides audio/video services which supports audio and video codecs.
7. It gives good quality over the Intranet for audio/video facilities. 8. It also has functionality for failover, clustering, and scalability for the IBM Sametime Gateway deployment.
Cons:- 1. It is IBM proprietary software, and not a opensource software, so licenses need to purchased from IBM.
2. There is echo or low voice quality over the communication line or throughout the conversation over the internet.
3. Development is still going on to integrate it with Mobile applications
4. Chats are saved in text format, so transferred images are not readable.
Alternate Vendors:- AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk, MSN Messenger !!