IBM Lotus Sametime Review

Easily communicate and share files with colleagues

What is our primary use case?

I use Lotus Sametime for internal communications across regions. I'm a consultant and therefore, I need to connect with teams in the United States and the United Kingdom. With Sametime, I can connect and chat easily with my team members effortlessly.

I also use this solution for quick internal meetings and sharing files.

How has it helped my organization?

This solution saves time and cost in communicating with team members. We don't need to have telephone calls. It streamlines the tasks in my organization by encouraging us to chat directly with the relevant person. Sametime also encourages communication among peers that further strengthens professional relationships.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are:

• I can view the status and availability of colleagues or team members, which makes it easy to approach them when they are available.
  • Sametime is integrated with IBM Notes.
  • I can easily chat over Sametime rather than sending emails. The response rate is quite high or instant with Sametime chat.
  • Sametime has emojis for ease of communication.

What needs improvement?

Sametime hangs sometimes and therefore needs to get restarted. There are very limited features such as limited file size sharing (one at a time) and limited number meeting participants that can actually participate in the instant meeting.

The quality of video conferencing is needed to be improved. The video hangs too and need to exit and reenter the meeting.

Lack of emoji but we can integrate emojis from another apps into the Sametime.

I have been using this solution for more than one year.

Users are only allowed to share one file at a time.

What other advice do I have?

This is a simple yet effective communication tool in multinational companies.

Private Cloud