IBM MaaS360 Review

Provides basic security with a friendly user interface; simple to implement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case for us is to bring down enrollment and to make it more flexible for the company. The solution is good for small to large enterprise organizations. We have 100,000 devices that have the solution installed. I'm an engineer.

What is most valuable?

I really value the ease of implementation. Within a couple of days you can quickly roll out several hundred devices. We didn't need more than that, but I'm convinced that it's possible and that it wouldn't matter if the device is not an iOS or a Windows 10 device. Those operating systems are possible and available within MaaS. The product provides basic security and when you need more, it's fairly easy to bring that in with third parties or a single sign-on MFA. That kind of thing is in place and available for the company.

The interface is very user-friendly. You just click and go. It's quite different from something you would get on Intune. I don't like that interface, the Microsoft interface is more suited to technical people.

What needs improvement?

Sometimes I would like to have local support because a company that provides 24/7 support means that the technical support staff are not always fluent English speakers. My English is  not fluent, but it's better to have an English speaker. It's sometimes hard to make yourself understood. We are looking at that now with the single sign-on and MFA, but that's been fairly smooth.

I've been using this solution for four years.

In the last four, five years, it's never failed and I've never had a problem. It was always there. When there are new releases from iOS or something, we implement. I've never experienced downtime problems whatsoever.

The solution is scalable, it works from anything and up to 100,000. That's scalable enough for me. I know two companies who have more than 100,000 devices. It's also worldwide. One environment works worldwide. Employees are working worldwide around the globe and are connected to MaaS360 on all their devices. Our specific organization has about 3,000 users and we are expanding the number of devices.

The technical support is 24/7, 365 days a year. Sometimes you get the answer fairly quickly. Sometimes it needs more of a description or more searching for the right answer. I think that also depends on the case itself. Integration of lots of other products like ERP systems or CRM systems is very easy.

We tried some other solutions, but they weren't so flexible and also there was not a real unified endpoint management. You could only do, say, smartphones and tablets, no laptops or desktops. I have some minimal experience with Intune which has a very different user interface. The Intune unified endpoint management is really based on Microsoft products. When you want to put in apps other than Microsoft, you have to do a few things beforehand. That's not the case with the MaaS. It doesn't matter what sort of apps you want. It's all perfect.

ROI depends on the price and also on the organization. When you have an organization with a lot of problems and a lot of devices to be enrolled when there is nothing in place, then I would say you get the ROI in three months. When you don't have it, when you already have something in place, the return on investment could be all right. What we see is that the return of investment comes easily when you start from nothing.

I think pricing is very good at the moment. I don't know all the pricing of all the products in the market, of course, but it's reasonable, and depending on the amount of devices it can be cheaper. What I also like is that there is no vendor lock-in. I'm not pushed to use all the products of the same vendor. It's an open product, it's an open platform. I like that.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend trying this product it because it's easy to start. You will be surprised at the possibilities, the flexibility and the opportunities within MaaS360.

I would rate this solution an eight out of 10.

More IBM MaaS360 reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Microsoft Intune
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.