IBM MaaS360 Review

Provides access to local resources without a VPN, scales well, and it's easy to use

What is our primary use case?

We have provided IBM MaaS360 to all of our mobile users, approximately one year ago. I have also been working to reseller IBM services, such as this one, for almost the past two years.

This product is primarily used for data loss prevention (DLP).

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has made things more convenient. Earlier, we had to depend a lot more on IT to find and resolve our issues. There are fewer problems and once you raise a ticket, it's easier for them to identify whether it's something that they can fix remotely, or whether it would require a physical examination of the device.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are remote enablement and access to my intranet resources, without depending on the VPN.

Due to integration with Apple DEP and Android Enterprise we don't need to configure each device manually or even share a link, it is ready the moment the user has access to the device.

We also have some internal websites that would normally need VPN to access from the public network, but we have set up a gateway that lets us connect to these internal resources  using the secure browser that's part of the license which is a very significant cost saving in the current times.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could definitely use some improvement. It's good enough, albeit pretty basic. However, anybody that is not used to it might require some assistance early on because it is not very intuitive.

It is fairly simple to use, yet a little complex to manage. At least, the initial setup is complex to manage.

One of the things that I would like to see in the next release is improvements at the account level. it is a little bit difficult to identify the number of licenses that are visible in my account, and to which suite each belongs. If there are four suites, we sometimes have to have segregation. Some users require the full set of enterprise services, whereas some users who are our partners or just employees are just given basic inventory management tools.

Being able to identify and account for these licenses would definitely help. This is not related to the actual usage, but rather, it's more of an administrative task. It can be overcome with manual bookkeeping but still, a bit more effort would be needed. If this can be simplified then that would be great.

I have been working with IBM MaaS360 for close to two years.

This is a pretty stable product and I haven't seen it crash anytime recently.

My organization has 5,000 devices as of now, so I don't see a problem with scale. I have personally resold the same services to organizations that use as little as 10 devices to 100 devices, to more than 10,000 devices. Scalability is not a real challenge.

There are two aspects to technical support. Since I am a reseller,  I provide my own service along with the licenses, so I charge for the professional services. However, if it is purely through IBM, the service is definitely lacking.

With IBM, it is a significant turnout time and you do need to have someone with qualifications from your own team so that you understand what to do. So, unless you already have somebody who's tech-savvy and understands the language, you're better off hiring professional services for support.

The initial setup is pretty straightforward. It's clicking a link and moving on.

Our deployment took roughly a month because it happened in phases. There was integration, phasing out of the old software, and integration with the new upcoming cloud services. Aside from knowing that there were phases, I don't have specifics on how long each one took.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is implementing this product is to start by completing the trial as soon as possible so that all of your core issues or core requirements can be identified easily. Next, have all of the integration options kept as secondary because you don't want to do everything together. It's always best to test a few cases; create a test group, and test it on them first. Make sure that everything is working instead of trying to make a turnkey solution. Doing it in phases is more effective than trying to do everything at once.

Overall, this is a good product and it covers most of the services that these solutions are supposed to follow, but it's not perfect.

Hybrid Cloud

Enterprise
More IBM MaaS360 reviews from users
...who work at a Comms Service Provider
...who compared it with Microsoft Intune
Learn what your peers think about IBM MaaS360. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.