IBM Maximo Review

Provides warning of upcoming compliance activities and enables us to report on exceptions

How has it helped my organization?

Particularly related to compliance management, Maximo has been configured to provide a warning of compliance activities coming up and enables us to report on exceptions.

What is most valuable?

Maximo is a platform where apps can be created to support special processes. It is configurable, where you can add extra fields to screens and to the database.

With that said, our biggest use of Maximo focuses on work and compliance management, and we have configured Maximo to help us manage our compliance activities. In addition, some pockets of the company utilize Maximo for managing work, failures, inventory, etc. beyond just compliance.

What needs improvement?

Although you can create notifications with Maximo, the configuration and options could be improved.

More than five years.

Overall, we have had no major stability issues with Maximo.

We do much of our support internally, but we have found that IBM technical support, when needed, has provided us with answers or identified whether the issue would be fixed in an upcoming patch.

Part of our company has used Maximo for about 20 years. The other part utilized Infor EAM but switched to Maximo due to more internal resources with Maximo experience, and because the Maximo implementation had been recently upgraded and improved.

Maximo is an enterprise system, so the initial setup is typically fairly complex.  You will want to include some consultant resource hours in the initial purchase of licenses to aid your IT staff in the initial installation, and to help make some of the hardware and software decisions.

Get an understanding of the intended usage at your company, and look at both the named user and concurrent-license pricing to make a determination which makes more sense for your usage.  Where available, concurrent licenses can be more cost efficient and provide more flexibility.

The original decision was many years ago, so the options were different then than they are today. About four years ago, we compared Infor EAM (which was previously implemented in another part of the company) to Maximo and decided to keep Maximo and convert Infor EAM users to Maximo.

What other advice do I have?

I rate it a nine out of 10. If it's not the best EAM product, it is one of the best out there.

Make sure that you understand your work/asset management and other processes before trying to implement. Where possible, the product should be configured to fit within your processes, trying to avoid changes to the system that will make it hard to upgrade/update, as IBM provides frequent patches and updates.

1 visitor found this review helpful