IBM Maximo Review

Enables us to organize, track all routine tasks, and report status to management

How has it helped my organization?

We are able to organize, track, and report on all of the jobs/tasks/routine work/preventive maintenance that we perform daily, and report to management the status of these activities at any time.

What is most valuable?

The large range of configurability of the product is great, since everyone has a different way of doing things. I also like the interface mechanisms built into the tool. With these, we can talk to just about any external system.

What needs improvement?

Revision management of file attachments.

More than five years.

The product is very stable (when configured properly).

The product scales very very well.

Seven out of 10. There are lots of consultants and third-party developers that can help with this product. IBM is not the only choice.

(By the way, in my opinion nothing is perfect).

We used a home-grown solution. We wanted to take advantage of advances in technology without having to build out or enhance our home-grown solution, so we switched.

This depends the ROI you expect. I recommend you implement the most important functions and then add capabilities as you get more familiar with the product.

Explore the possibility of using DB2. You will avoid the cost of SQL Server or Oracle licenses.

MP2, SAP.

What other advice do I have?

There are add-ons for calibration, scheduler, transportation, service provider, government, oil and gas, asset management configuration, and linear assets.

It is a very solid J2EE product with great middleware and webserver; scales very well, and can use one of three RDBMS systems.

Refine your maintenance processes, do not skimp on hardware.