IBM Maximo Review

Reliable and integrated in a single database but needs better dashboards for KPIs

What is our primary use case?

The main use is help desk. But we also use it for asset management, catalog offering, and CNDB.

How has it helped my organization?

It's much more reliable, it's much more configurable.

What is most valuable?

It's reliable, and it's all integrated in the same database.

What needs improvement?

It's actually a little too much for what we need. It could be good but there are too many conflicts and it's not user-friendly. It could use shortcuts for frequently requested services.

Other areas for improvement include:

• Enhanced Service Catalog on Mobile
  • Agent intelligence
  • Better dashboards for KPIs
  • Full-service visibility - There are a lot of things that are hard for users to find out. For example, the Service Catalog is not too friendly. You really have to know what you're looking for.

More than five years.

It's quite reliable, but new versions often are not too stable. They bring in enhancements but they break other stuff. We're okay with it but it could be better.

Scalability is very good. It's easily scalable.

We have often set up PMRs and their support is quite good. We have issues that have reappeared in other releases, and things that aren't really supposed to be happening like that. We migrated to a different version, one thing was solved but then a new issue appeared, related to the same module.

They give good service, but they could be a little more reliable in terms of solving defects and having it work as it should.

We used an old Lotus Notes solution that we implemented ourselves and then we migrated to Maximo. Now, our main client doesn't really like the way Maximo works, at least for them. So that's making us into a new solution.

In terms of selecting a vendor, I don't do the selection. I just evaluate the functional and technical aspects. Regarding pricing and things like that, I'm not the one that will decide. My main concern is that it does what it's supposed to do, does it well, and that the client likes it.

The initial setup was complex but that was 10 years ago. It might have changed since then.

The options we are now considering are JIRA and ServiceNow.

What other advice do I have?

They have a preview site where you can log in as a user and try it for yourself. That is a really good way to get a feel for the solution; better than Youtube or whitepapers and things like that. You have a preview site, you log in, and you can try it.

I would give Maximo a seven out of 10 because it's good, but it's not too user-friendly, and some of the issues we have come across, the impact to us was a little too much to be coming from a big company such as IBM.