IBM MQ Review

Stable and robust with proven technology, and they have good technical support

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is for the general merchandising and retail market.

How has it helped my organization?

From the infrastructure point of view, it's a great improvement and it's more flexible to the latest hardware. Also, it is flexible for whatever is coming or whatever is available for on-premises and cloud integrations.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are RDQM and queue sharing.

There has been a lot of improvement in architecture. It handles better with the new architecture such as Cloud, and Cloud-on-premises integrations.

Also, how Kubernetes can be deployed is helpful.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see message duplication included. We don't have a mechanism for duplicating a message.

There is a different model where you can have multiple subscribers and not publish the stored data to multiple subscribers.

Duplication is the most important for sending the same data for different applications.

We have been using IBM MQ for 15 years.

We are using 9.0.0.6 and in the process of upgrading to 9.02.

In terms of stability, IBM has proven to be very rare. It's a very stable product.

We test in very large volumes.

We tested ActiveMQ and it's nowhere close to IMB MQ.

Scalability is an area that has improved a lot. The scalable data is different.

The way the cluster handles and cluster load balancing is different than what it used to be.

Now with the uniform clusters, it's much better. There is a lot of competition especially with messaging. With streaming, people are using it for messaging also.

It's very flexible to scale.

We have been using it for a long time. We have a team of 15 people who are using this solution. There are more than 5,000 integrations that are using this solution in all platforms, such as Mainframe, Windows, and Cloud environments.

Tech support is very good. I guess other support groups if someone is looking for ADP accounts it lacks but in general technical support is good.

I would rate them a nine out of ten.

Previously, we did not use any other product. I am not familiar with other technologies.

I'm learning and doing some experiments, but we have found a  product for the volume we have.

The initial setup is straightforward, it's easy.

If someone knows its basic structure, it is easy, but the open-source is much easier than IBM MQ because you just have to install it and start working on it. With IBM MQ you have some installation procedures.

The open-source version needs route access which could be security compliance and could be complex.

IBM is expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution and suggest you start using it if you have the budget. It's very stable and robust. It's a proven technology, so no one needs to worry about that.

It all relies on the budget, that where all of the problems are. People want to use open-source, and businesses do not have a budget.

It's a good product to use.

I would rate IBM MQ a nine out of ten.

9.0.0.6
More IBM MQ reviews from users
...who compared it with Apache Kafka
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: June 2021.
513,091 professionals have used our research since 2012.