IBM MQ Review

It connects our mainframe Intel-based systems and Power Systems together.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to connect our different systems fairly seamlessly. Without it, I don't know how we would have connected our mainframe Intel-based systems and Power Systems together. It's the tool that we utilize to make it happen.

How has it helped my organization?

It's the transport tier that connects our systems. Without it, we would be very disconnected.

We're using it entirely for our transactional systems right now.

We're not really using MQ to better connect across cloud, mobile and devices, and the internet of things. I imagine that will be the tool that we will utilize that will help bring that next level in. Right now, we're not utilizing it.

What needs improvement?

Maybe the administration interface could be improved. Right now, it's very command-line driven. My guess is that if the GUI interface was a little bit better, with more of a singular interface across platforms, that would be helpful.

Like most of the IBM products, it's pretty stable. We haven't really had any real challenges. We run it on the mainframe as well as open systems and both are incredibly stable.

It is very scalable; we use it all the time.

I have not personally used technical support for MQ, but my team has. It has been very responsive.

I did not previously use a different solution.

I was involved in the initial set up at my organization from an infrastructure standpoint. We provide the infrastructure tier. On the open-system side, we helped with it and helped the implementation out on the mainframe.

The actual installation is straightforward. The configuration and the implementation of enabling MQ to talk and communicate between the systems can be complicated.

Before choosing this product, I did not evaluate other options.

What other advice do I have?

From our experience with the functionality and the stability of the product, it's going to be difficult to find something that rivals it in the industry right now.

My rating reflects its functionality and its ability to allow our systems, our enterprise, to run the way it does right now. It's purely a function of MQ's ability to allow the systems to talk to each other.

Support and supportability are the most important criteria for me when selecting a vendor to work with. The ability to handle challenges quickly and responsively.