IBM MQ Review

Support for JMS and integration with WebSphere Application Server are valuable.

How has it helped my organization?

The product encourages the idea of asynchronous processing, which means that the sender and receiver are not required to be active and running at the same time. The message will be saved to the receiver queue until the system starts successfully and pulls it for processing. This is typically used in all internet banking functions that receive their data from different bank systems.

What is most valuable?

• Support for JMS 2.0, because we develop solutions compatible with Java EE7.
  • Seamless integration with IBM WebSphere Application Server, which is the most stable application server I ever worked with.
  • Installed and configured at Windows, AIX and IBM i mostly the same way and set of commands.

What needs improvement?

They need to add the ability to send full messages (header + payload) from the MQ Explorer program, not just the payload.

We have not encountered any stability issues.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

I would rate the technical support as good, 8/10.

I previously used ActiveMQ, but I switched to IBM MQ due to the robustness of the solution.

If you are familiar with IBM products, you will find initial setup straightforward.

IBM MQ has a flexible license model based on the Processor Value Unit (PVU) and I recommend it.

We evaluated Active MQ also.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise the potential user to read about security considerations and compliance with security standards.

9.0
More IBM MQ reviews from users
...who compared it with VMware RabbitMQ
Learn what your peers think about IBM MQ. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: July 2021.
523,535 professionals have used our research since 2012.