IBM MQ Review
It is reliable and I think everybody in my organization is comfortable installing and implementing it.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows us to do point-to-point integration in an easy manner. It allows different applications to talk to each other; applications that may speak different languages. You have mainframe technologies, Java-based apps, .NET, things of that nature, and MQ allows you the ability to share the data between those different types of systems.

What is most valuable?

The thing that I like about MQ most is its reliability. It's one of those types of products that just works. You don't have to tinker around with it too much. One of the biggest things that I really look for in a product is from a reliability perspective. Can I count on this to be up 24 hours a day, and do I have to keep hacking around with it? MQ is definitely something that is really reliable, so it's something that I really appreciate it.

What needs improvement?

I would just like a more user-friendly experience to do common administration tasks. I know that you can use MQ Explorer, but having something that's already built in would definitely be useful.

We haven't necessarily experienced any issues from a migration perspective. Typically, where we see the majority of our issues at is when we're doing upgrades to the Message Broker, or IBM Integration Bus is what it's called now. Those two products are typically married together. Most of our issues ... I wouldn't even call them issues. We see some issues when we migrate from different versions in regards to like, IIB. I think that's just because this is a more complex product. You have customized code in there. From an MQ perspective, everything's pretty straightforward.

I haven't had any stability issues. I think the biggest thing, when there are issues, is having an easy way to figure out what's going on. I think one of the things that I'm looking forward to, from a MQ perspective, is just having more of a user-friendly experience. MQ has traditionally been somewhat of a command-style solution, so anything that they could do to improve that would definitely be helpful.

We have not had any scalability issues.

We have teams that usually interact with IBM. My team doesn't necessarily do that that often but when we do, it's a fairly pleasant experience.

From an MQ perspective, it's something that we've been using for a long time. Unfortunately, when you're dealing with very large companies, it's difficult to transition away from stuff that you built a long time ago, so you have a lot of this stuff that's just hanging around, that's been built a long time ago, and you still have to maintain it. Once something goes into production, it's typically very difficult to get money to update that service five, ten years down the road.

Setup was pretty straightforward. MQ has been around for a long time. It's a reliable product. It doesn't change that much, so I think everybody, at least in my organization, is fairly comfortable with installing and implementing MQ.

MQ was, to me, pretty much the gold standard in regards to what it does. To me there's really no point to look at other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

Have a common understanding of why you feel that you need MQ. MQ was something that we implemented years ago, so there may be new technologies out there that you may be able to utilize to make the project you're trying to do easier, and make your implementation a little easier.