IBM MQ Review

Even if systems are down, when they come back up, it resends the messages.

What is most valuable?

Specifically for MQ, the most valuable feature is the ability for us to deliver messages between applications using the MQ message queuing.

How has it helped my organization?

It's more of a guaranteed delivery. So, even if some of our systems are down at that time of delivering messages, when our systems come back up, it goes ahead and resends the messages, so we ensure that the messages are guaranteed.

What needs improvement?

I haven't seen any features that we could exploit today that's not currently available. I think everything that's in there today in terms of features; it meets all of my requirements. Everything that were shortcomings in the past, they've already been addressed from different users. The current version 8 is very stable and contains everything that we need to run our operations.

It's one of our more stable products on the CMS platform. We really haven't had any issues with that in terms of severity incidents, at least of what I'm aware of for the last three years.

It's very stable; we've not had to dedicate a lot of resources to support the product and that's a plus.

We have always had some unexpected workload coming in and we haven't had any issues of scaling up or down as and when we need to, so as to handle larger message workloads.

The only time that we have used support is when we do upgrades. We'll talk to IBM and maybe resolve some of the discrepancies in the product. IBM is very helpful. They are very responsive and if they can't answer the question, they find the person that can.

What other advice do I have?

Look at the use case and verify that this product, i.e, the IBM MQ, can meet all of those requirements. If not, then go back and say that this is the feature that we probably may need, because every company may be different in terms of requirements for the product. If they have something that is beyond what this product is capable of delivering, then go ahead, open up a price quote for it.

It has always delivered and met all of our application requirements. Due to this, it has no shortcomings that I've experienced.

The criteria we look for while selecting a vendor are stability, where they are in the market place, what other research firms have placed them for the area we are looking for like Forrester and RAD group. We depend on them a lot to narrow down the number of vendors that we are looking for.