IBM MQ Review

We can pull our legacy data from the mainframe and bring it down into a modern Java front end.

What is most valuable?

For MQ, the most valuable feature is our ability to connect our distributed systems back to the mainframe, and pull our legacy data out of the mainframe and bring it down into a modern Java front end.

How has it helped my organization?

It's easy to install and it's bulletproof. We never have an issue with it. The upgrades are easy and IBM support is fantastic.

What needs improvement?

Honestly, the features they just recently released are what I wanted to see. Like I mentioned elsewhere, the appliance device was fantastic. It's MQ in a box, and you just plug it right into the network. I'd like to see improvements around that area, so we can take our z/OS systems into our distributed environments even easier.

We are very happy with the stability.

We are very happy with the scalability. It's easy to scale, easy to cluster, it's highly available, and we love the fact that IBM is now making appliance devices out of MQ, so you can buy them and just rack them right into your data center.

We are very happy with IBM support. Also, their professional services; if you need consulting, they're fantastic.

We used this product to solve our initial development solution about 15 years ago. We were coming on with Java, and we needed to connect our distributed front-end Java to our back-end legacy business intelligence code that's all written in COBOL on the mainframe. MQ was just the perfect way to connect.

I was involved in the setup. It's straightforward, but I had done this before.

We looked at a couple others, such as RabbitMQ and Sonic. They just didn't have IBM’s weight behind them. I love it.

When looking for a vendor, I look at their reputation, reliability, and a recommendation from the industry like a Gartner report. The Magic Quadrant is huge for us. We look at quadrant leaders all the time when we're taking solutions.

What other advice do I have?

Don't hesitate. Call IBM and get them in there tomorrow.

More IBM MQ reviews from users