IBM MQ Review

The most valuable feature is the interconnection of data between different systems.

What is most valuable?

For the IBM MQ solution, the most valuable feature is the interconnection of data between the different systems. In our company, we use mainframe, Windows, and Unix and it provides communication with different plans like associations and the federal employee plan. That's what we're looking for.

The main feature right now that we're looking for is open source and that is where we see more challenges coming up with the product. This is because a lot of the applications are going with open source such as cloud and providing connection with the cloud. We have Amazon AWS cloud services or Microsoft Azure services and the applications are deployed there, so connectivity with those type of applications is necessary.

How has it helped my organization?

IBM MQ has broadened a lot of communication between interconnecting the applications. It's more fault tolerant, since we have the message delivery guaranteed. We have high availability for the application and it's not stateful. It has provided the features such as the application to process messages from the mainframe as well as from the web, so we can increase the throughput of the system.

What needs improvement?

The response time could be improved because that's our main concern. Once our system is down, then it impacts our business since we have another partner who is dependent on us.

There is need for more integration with cloud. That's what we're looking for, because that's what the company is moving towards.

The stability is very good, actually. In our organization, we saw almost 99.9% uptime for the product.

The scalability is really good, because only your system limits the functionality. We can add more storage / more memory and we can always scale up.

We have used the technical support, but we are more concerned about the response time. For example, we have severity 1 issues and the system is down, but we still see time gaps and they don't respond.

Previous, we were using the Oracle Tuxedo solution and it had a lot of limitations. It was not able to interface with a lot of the other systems, i.e., the interface was only with C-based operating systems/programs that use only Windows. That's why we switched to IBM MQ, since it brought a lot of benefits.

The setup was complicated because when I started and there were around 400 queue managers. We have four companies that we communicate with, so we changed a lot of the architecture, i.e., we went from the local queue managers to centralize and to reduce issues, in order to have a more manageable system.

Actually, we looked at IBM and Microsoft. However, IBM had a wider scope of the product, and compared to it, Microsoft provided limited platform support. That's why we chose IBM.

The factors that we look at before selecting a vendor, are how the product supports integration with other companies and the overall support they provide to us.

What other advice do I have?

Definitely, you should use IBM MQ because it is a stable product and provides a wide interface with different systems. You can talk to mainframes on other systems as well, so I would highly recommend this product.