IBM MQ Review

The scalability of the environment is the most valuable feature. We also like the speed and the manageability.

What is most valuable?

The scalability of the environment is the most valuable feature. We also like the speed and the manageability of this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It keeps all of our large systems interconnected, so the MQ is at the base of all of our system integration.

What needs improvement?

I would like better control over the depth of messages that go in there from all the learning and notifications, better management tools around queue depth, queue issue, that kind of stuff. If things are backing up in the queue, getting better at learning from a dashboard of how the whole ecosystem of MQ is running, that'd be really nice. Because we're using a third party to get that now.

Stability is very strong. We haven't had any issues.

We really like the multi-channel queue manager that allows us to have different entries into the queue and manage that traffic; kind of splitting it out. That gives us an immense amount of scale as we add new applications.

We have used support. They are okay. Opening a PMR is a pain in the neck. When you're in a critical event, you don't want to go open up a web ticket. You want to get somebody on the phone, it could fix the problem now. We get that it all goes with the support level and we are pretty high.

We had a mainframe that had MQ associated to it, so we just kept it going forward.

I was not involved in the initial setup.

What other advice do I have?

Study hard, and implement small, and then scale.

Responsiveness, the tool, and price are what I look for in a vendor.

More IBM MQ reviews from users