IBM MQ Review
It has alerts built-in that tell our operation that queues are getting filled up and they need some attention.

What is most valuable?

The way that we use MQ is just for messaging. We have various systems in our organization and we have various applications.

We use our routing feature when the request is coming from the business application. The request goes to the distributive side and it is routed to the right claim instance.

We use MQ in between for messaging. We process the messages we receive and we send the responses back to whoever sent us the message.

That person or application basically picks up the response and distributes it to whoever requested it. The way we design the environment of that instance can leverage any of the environments.

How has it helped my organization?

Because we are a 24/7 company, we always want to have a robust solution where we can keep getting messages. There should be no delays, outages, or blockages. Those messages should be coming in seamlessly, transparently, and efficiently.

The way that we envision the future of our organization is that MQ works well. We have MQ local and MQ distributed and we're leveraging both.

What needs improvement?

The way that we are using the solution may not be utilizing the full version of MQ. However, what is available right now works well for us. We are not looking to expand.

It's very robust. It's stable. Whenever we have a situation where our listener is down for some reason, MQ has the capacity to put those messages into some queues where we can retrieve them later on.

It has those alerts built-in. It tells our operation that the queues are getting filled up and they need some attention. We have those kinds of features turned on.

It is very scalable.

Our team is very well versed in MQ and they're always able to solve all the problems. In fact, last year we moved to iApps, and they were able to work with IBM. They were able to solve whatever roadblocks we had.

We have our own support team. Whenever we have some situation, we go to them. If they're unable to solve it, then they reach out to IBM.

I'm not aware of the pricing. That's something others deal with, but they do tell me that it is expensive. I don't know how much it is.

We have an ELA contract with IBM and everything is included. It's not like MQ has a different price, and different products have difference prices. Everything is done as part of one big contract

What other advice do I have?

Customers need to look at their design and carefully select the product. They should look at the product capabilities and change the design accordingly to work with the product.

Don't expect a lot of things from the product. You need to trust your design, your solution, and your app. This product just helps you to move around and navigate your data.

Your product has to be solid to process those elements. If I am unable to put the message in a queue, then if MQ sends me a message and I'm unable to pull the message and process it, then I would not blame MQ. It is my product or app that is not working. The solution is just an interface. It's just messaging. It's sending and retrieving messages, and that's it.