IBM MQ Review

The on-premise installation is very valuable to us.

What is our primary use case?

Originally, we were doing this in-house, and it was a huge effort. Now, with IBM MQ, we have increased our performance, and it performs really well. The queuing system, given the size of information, is helpful.

How has it helped my organization?

The on-premise installation is very valuable to us, since we are working with a lot of companies which have a very high degree of compliance.

What is most valuable?

I will say that, okay, we are coming from a long history as an IT company, and we have almost done queuing systems with other solutions. Moving from that implementation to something that is out-of-the-box, and the rave reviews, it was a great asset already. We didn’t have to worry about all the specific configuration, or installation of our own queue, and queuing system, and the brokers, and so on. It was some things a little bit out-of-the-box, that's why we like it.

What needs improvement?

I believe there is too much code to be done in order to handle the elements that you develop. We choose a new feature, we would choose something that is a little more … even more out-of-the-box, and gives me the possibility to configure directly where the messages should go, instead.

Also, the IBM MQ, it doesn’t really have a connector.

I believe the stability of the product has decreased since we began using it initially.

We had some load tests, and actually it was quite straightforward to make a scale actually. I believe we are satisfied with it. We are talking about 100,000 users, and it was performing well. So I don't know if it scales well when we talk about millions. But, for our needs, it scales nicely.

We do not have a direct contact with them. We have a desk line with them, and we have some sort of agreement. They treat us very well.

I do not get involved with the setup of the solutions. But, my team member was very happy with it, and said it was quite easy to install.

We always must consider:

• Reliability is a key requirement
  • There should be a roadmap
  • Support
  • Development

What other advice do I have?

We also considered Apache Kafka as a solution. The main difference is that Kafka is an open-source platform.