IBM Operational Decision Manager Review

Enables business to own and maintain the rules, no need for IT to implement them

What is our primary use case?

To automate business decisions and allow businesses to make smarter decisions faster with a moden business friendly Web Application, the users adore.

How has it helped my organization?

The business owns the rules and they're taken away from IT, so business doesn't need to ask IT to implement them, and IT doesn't need to implement them. So the business owns their decisions and their rules, and therefore, finally, they take proper ownership, and model and maintain them properly.

In terms of compliance and reporting, that's tricky because we are not using it in such a hard way. It's more a help for business to automate their decision-making. They are improving that and they are much, much, faster than before. Instead of having quarterly, or yearly cycles and changes, they have them, now, pretty much daily.

What is most valuable?

It's very business friendly and rock solid.

We manage business rules within this product and the benefit is that businesses can manage these rules themselves.

What needs improvement?

One area for improvement is master data integration. That should be more fluid. The others are hierarchical drop-down lists, and hierarchical master data. We have a few hundred others that I have on the list.

More than five years.

Every software has small glitches, but generally it's a rock solid product. It's proven, and that's what it should do.

We are pushing it quite crazily and, currently, from the scaling, we don't see an issue. So it scales.

They're really, really good. We only have the problem of getting them the data that they need because they're basically supporting us from a black box perspective. But besides that, they work day and night to get our problems solved. We're impressed.

Initially, it's straightforward, but you then need to tune it to your needs. Like your own car, you tune it if you have many kids, or if you have just a mistress. You configure the same car slightly differently, depending how you evolve. And same with platforms. So, it starts in vanilla and then you get creative.

What other advice do I have?

When looking for a vendor I want to have the confidence that they are competent and they have a proper team behind it, that they have a big team. So I know that in 10 years, the product will still be around, and we will not have to rebuild our solutions every two years because they change everything.

I give it an eight out of 10 overall. Software never gets a 10. They can still add a lot of things. There's a very good base, vanilla setup, but all the other things that are customer-specific, you need to add.