IBM Operational Decision Manager Review

The solution has reduced the backlog for IT

What is our primary use case?

We use ODM for rules management for many of our systems to manage rules for business coming in. We also use it to manage rules for our BPM solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

The effects of allowing business users to update business rules instead of IT are business users have a closer relationship with what rules they need and are able to make those rules a lot quicker in the tools that ODM provides than if an IT person had to do it, and do it in code, requiring compiling code and deploying it.

The solution has reduced the backlog for IT.

What is most valuable?

By using ODM, we get rules to our applications, then we get those applications to go to market a lot faster.

What needs improvement?

Get to the cloud.

Three to five years.

ODM has probably been one of the more stable IBM products I have used.

Scalability is really good. We have it deployed on ODM, which comes on WebSphere Application Server. We have it on a cluster environment of two nodes, production and test. It is scalable as much as we need it, if needed. Two node is good for us right now. If we would ever need to scale higher than that, the scalability of WebSphere would allow us to do it.

We have used IBM technical support with the product. The feedback has been that the support has been very helpful at times. We have had some issues here and there that they have had to dig into. However, for the most part, they have been helpful.

The decision to purchase ODM was made before I was hired on with my current company.

It was one of the first IBM products that I had experience with installing.

It has an easy installation and administration to use. If you read the knowledge center and do your research on the instructions needed, it is easy to follow. You just have to be prepared to gather the knowledge and know what needs to happen to get it installed. If you do your homework, there will be no issues.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a good rule solution that is easy to implement if you do your homework, which also has good support, then I would say go for IBM ODM.

We are looking into using Decision Server Insights (DSI) within ODM going forward.

If our compliance department needed to have a better understanding of what rules were implemented, it would probably be easy just to pull them out of the one system, since they are not dispersed across multiple applications. Though, we have never had compliance ask for this type of information.