IBM Power Systems Review

We see a big difference in the processing for JDE 9.1, it's faster; and the system is always up

What is most valuable?

Faster. We use JDE 9.1, and from the time that we started using the POWER8 hardware and processors, we could see a big difference in the processing for the JDE 9.1.

How has it helped my organization?

From an IT perspective, on my side of the systems, we don't have the JDE CNC team down on us all the time trying to blame everything on the system running too slow. Now they can't blame it on us because everything's so fast, they're just amazed by it.

We're in oil and gas and I think, right now, we're on the top of our competitors with the systems that we've had. From some of the other companies I've talked to, they're still using old IBM systems or they've gone to other platforms.

What needs improvement?

The CPU. It could always get faster. Pricing's always an issue - with every company; it could always be better.

A year and a half, roundabout.

On a scale of one to 10 - I've been doing this for 30 year's - I'd give it a ten, being the best. They're always there. They're always available. When the other platforms are going down, and they're working on them all the time, mine's always up. When the other platforms are having security issues, no one's getting into mine.

Very good. Sometimes.

I have one thing that I have a problem with, it's when they outsourced everything to India. I would rather have gum surgery than get on the phone and talk to somebody to try to put me with a technical consultant. Whenever I do get someone who picks up the phone here in the USA, I think, "This is going to go quick." It just never does when I get someone else, and my colleagues feel the same way.

We were using the POWER7 and moved up to the POWER8, because our contract was running out and we got a pretty good deal to move up to POWER8 hardware.

It was complex. We had IBM lab services come do it for us rather than our business partner, and it went well.

We see a return on investment from the move to POWER8.

Only IBM, for now.

What other advice do I have?

We're using POWER8 with IBM i.

It let's me work more efficiently. Keeps me around a lot longer.

I consider IBM to be market leader in servers. To remain a market leader in the servers sector they need to keep doing what they're doing. I think they're going in the right direction.