IBM Power Systems Review

Flexible and powerful operating system gives us added security features

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for database servers, and performance-wise it is one of the best available servers in the market.

What is most valuable?

For me, the AIX operating system is one of the best things because I'm a Unix guy and I like the flexibility of the operating system. It's very powerful.

One of the key features is that the performance is among the best. But also on the security side, we get regular security patch updates and system hardening. There are free tools available to harden the system. It's very unique.

What needs improvement?

One of the features that we would like, and I think they are also adapting to the latest trends in the market, is to make it more open, more flexible. Traditionally the Unix operating system was not very flexible. For example, if you are creating a virtual machine, it is not done the same way you would create it with VMware. With VMware, anybody can create a virtual machine without any knowledge of the server side. But with AIX it's a bit difficult. I think they are already in the process of improving it, making it more flexible and easier to use.

It is very stable. We haven't faced an issue with the servers until now.

It is scalable because the POWER8 server, the CPU allows up to eight or 10 cores. And you can add two more, so that is very good. Even the entry-level server will give you the option to have so many running on the same physical server.

We use the technical support from a local partner of IBM. They are very good. They know the technology very well and they have been highly professional during implementation and with support.

The setup is really straightforward, it's not that complex.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend, going for this solution, because it is one of the best solutions available in the Unix market now.

I would rate it eight out of 10. The reason is, as I said, the performance and stability, and the security included with the product.

In terms of selecting a vendor, we first go through the product features and evaluate them and see that the product suits our environment. Then, we look at the various product selection criteria, like ease of use and implementation. We also look at the cost, how costly it is to support in the future.

1 visitor found this review helpful