IBM PowerVM Review

Stable with flexible licensing and great technical support

What is our primary use case?

We're using the solution primarily on power machines and the default specialization software, IVM Power. Our power machines are specifically used to run Oracle databases.

What is most valuable?

It's flexible to license virtual machines and power them with Oracle. If Oracle can not be virtualized in neutral, they actually say you pay a license for the whole box even if you want just one feature from Oracle. Our machine has got 60 CPUs, and that's just through a virtual machine. If I have an entire box and I put on VMware virtualization, Oracle makes me license the whole box even if my Oracle VM it was maybe just two CPUs out of maybe a box with 16 CPUs. Therefore, power machines seem to be more flexible, which is why we use the power machines for Oracle or Oracle databases.

What needs improvement?

Currently, it's working fine. It's not really lacking too much in the way of features.

If it could actually virtualize the entire platform it might be better. If you're having more than one virtualization technology, maybe there's a way to actually have less - one technology to run the data center and maybe one special virtualization for power. If it integrated with other platforms more effectively it might be better.

I've been using the solution for a decade. It's been ten years now.

It's easy to actually manage all the hardware for Power VM.

It's scalable. Whenever we buy another product other than hardware, it's easily integrated into the virtualization software that we download.

We have about 50-75 internal users on the solution currently that handle reports, etc. However, we have a subscriber base of 10 million.

We do plan to increase the usage in the future.

The technical support is okay. They read all of our messages or SMS. We're very satisfied with their level of support and find them knowledgeable and responsive.

We've been using this solution for quite some time now. It's been ten years.

We've been actually using IBM side by side with Intel machines which are Lenovo and HP.

For the power machine, the setup is not that complex. We have got 100 percent vendor support. We find that if you buy a new machine, the item vendor actually gives us 100 percent support in setting it up and also in showing us how it is run.

Deployment times depend on when the deployment is done. We're looking at deploying the hardware and then the software. In most cases, it takes about a week or two. It is a maximum of two weeks to set up everything.

The solution is being maintained by a team of 850.

We have support from our vendor that assists us.

The current Power VM that we have, has an upgrade from a previous solution. The integration was within Power VM itself.

I don't know what the licensing costs are. It's not part of my department.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM customers. We don't have a business relationship with the company.

I'd recommend this solution. It's a great product and they offer great support.

Overall, I would rate it eight out of ten.

More IBM PowerVM reviews from users