IBM ProtectTIER Review

An excellent product because everyone has less time to pick up the backup

What is our primary use case?

I will highly recommend this product for excellent and quick backup solution in small and large IBM I Series environment

How has it helped my organization?

This product for excellent and quick backup solution in small and large IBM I Series environment. Completed all the 70 No's LPAR backup without any manual intervention and also in very less time in comparison with Tape Backup solutions. No manual intervention required all automated backup process.

What is most valuable?

This protector is very safe and VTL. It is the 7650 protector. The model is 7650.

The one system is VTL, the IBM protector 7650 is configured VPL, so it is important to make the backup be configurable for multiple drives.

What needs improvement?

On the redundant standpoint, if we have two ProtectTIER, it makes the product running too redundant, because it is a very critical backup solution. It is handled by ProtectTIER so there should be some redundancy between the two sides. For example, we have side A and side B, and if anything happens on side A, then side B protector should be able take care of the issue.

There is only one issue on the VTL side, we cannot restore the entire system of AS/400. We cannot restore the data by using ProtectTIER on VPL. The new protector is good, but it is not possible to restore the full system. We can restore the data but we cannot do the full restoration. Hope this issue also been resolved with new solutions.

More than five years.

No, as I said, we had fixed the issues, so that it was stable. Once we replaced the child guard, then it was stable. Now, we don't have any problems. So earlier it was not, but later on it was stable.

It is now working for us well.

It is a scalability product. It is a really good solution for end user clients.

It is unmanageable.

Support would be good. Support should be quick. My other friends are also using this ProtectTIER in other companies. They are not hitting these types of issues. This is integrated because once you use the VPL, then ProtectTIER, several things are well-integrated. If any issues happen, they should be quick to investigate, because there might be a problem on the V7000 side, a problem on the ProtectTIER side, or a problem on the switchboard side. So the support should be more practical and fix the issue quickly.

Before ProtectTIER, we used tape solutions. It was good, we didn't have any issues with it. Only thing was it took more time to take the backups because the simultaneous backup would not happen if we use the single drive, and if the 7080 passwords were there earlier than Monday, we definitely needed the VPL and ProtectTIER for quick backup.

It is very easy now a days to setup and get support.

in house one.

Highly advice to all IBM I series clients to use VTL product for their backup solutions.

We used the data domain that is EMC Data Domain Storage. We compared with the Data Domain. EMC Data Domain Storage was tried using a robot. It is a health system product that is integrated with DataBot and the data domain.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product, and the product is supposed to go far because everyone has less time to pick up the backup.

We did fixed one issue on the ProtectTIER in the last one or two years. That is the child card. It took more time to replace the faulty child card as they are not on the higher level. IBM can diagnose the problem as more than they took the time. In that way, we can use ProtectTIER more easily and more comfortably. Once IBM changed the child card, the ProtectTIER issue had been fixed. IBM support is supposed to IBM support is more quick and they can also analyze in depth to fix the problem.