IBM ProtectTIER Review

A stable and scalable solution that reduces data domain risks

What is most valuable?

The solution reduces the risks with regard to the data domain we're running. The way it shrinks data is adaptable. With regards to the raw capacity, the ratio is quite high.

What needs improvement?

The learning curve for the solution is quite high. This has always been an issue. If they could just open up a bit, with regards to gaining knowledge on how to configure this solution apart from just having official IBM tech would be helpful.

The configurations wizards are still complex and hard to navigate. These should be easier to manage.

I've been using the solution since 2016.

In terms of stability, I've found it to be very stable. I've walked into the server room when it was at 60 degrees Celcius, and it was still running fine.

It's possible to scale the solution. The vendor was busy scaling it up with additional capacity during implementation. It was very straight forward for them. They did it in one day. My impression was that it was not something that was too complex for our business partner to be able to scale out with the digital capacity we purchased.

Technical support could be better. The turnaround times can be slow.

From my understanding, the implementation was complex. IBM and our business partner always have competent engineers, which makes it easier for them to handle the setup. Much of what they're configuring and what they need to configure for the things to work is not smooth sailing in comparison to what you would have with other solutions.

It is not a point and click setup. You have to know what protocol or technology you're considering to make a certain portion of the component work.

We used a business partner to assist in the implementation.

The licenses are capacity based. We have a certain capacity, but we are able to condense it.

What other advice do I have?

We use the on-premises deployment solution.

The solution has a steep learning curve. It's not for the faint-hearted.

I would recommend the product. however, if it is right for an organization or not depends on the type of setup. It's great for banks or the financial industry. For general enterprise use, there are other less complex solutions like VEEM. Other solutions can do more or less the same actions. In our case, however, during our initial feasibility study, VEEM wasn't plausible yet.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.