IBM QRadar Review

Excellent artificial intelligence component with tricky licensing fees

What is our primary use case?

IBM QRadar is a FIM component within the security operation center we were deploying in the customer environment. We are managing their cyber defense capability.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I have found most valuable is its artificial intelligence component, Watson. Its contribution is pretty good from a machine-learning artificial intelligence perspective. This compliments the orchestration automation component, as well.

What needs improvement?

The features that could be improved include the licensing model and the dashboards and all those presentations. Overall, the user experience part can be improved.

Additionally, the coverage, the connectors, and the flex connectors for legacy systems and other aspects could be improved. This is something they can work on and improve.

I have been using IBM QRadar for more than two years.

It is a stable product.

It takes two to three people for its management, but it purely depends on the scope of the security operations center, the SOC.

It is scalable.

It's kind of non-direct user component. It sits under the security operations center, so it won't be visible to the user, but it will be covering devices and users. It can support 100 to 10,000 devices. So it's kind of a back instance.

In terms of plans to increase usage, I'm currently in a management level, so I'm no longer into the directly technical part. But if there is a requirement, IBM QRadar is definitely one of my preferences.

IBM technical support is good.

We were using ArcSight from Micro Focus, but we were having some challenges integrating with the systems, with the APIs, and with the connectors. That's why we moved to IBM.

The initial setup is at an intermediate, medium level. It's not that straightforward, but not that complex either. The only thing is that their licensing model is a bit complex because they charge for a couple of components like EPS and NetFlow, so that kind of licensing charging is a bit tricky. But all in all, it's a medium, not that complex.

I think it was set up within a month. But use-case finalization and other configurations took another month. It's kind of a two to three month project to move to production completely.

Our licensing is yearly. But it's based on Event Per Second, which is one of the models. Storage capacity for log management is also considered with the fees. Licensing is a bit complex in IBM, as well. Different aspects needs to be considered.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend IBM to others who want to start using it.

On a scale from one to 10, I would rate IBM QRadar a seven.

More IBM QRadar reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
Learn what your peers think about IBM QRadar. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
534,057 professionals have used our research since 2012.