IBM QRadar Review

It has a predefined set of templates. In order to secure patient data, they may have to incorporate certain legislation / regulations.

What is most valuable?

Its technology is quite new and it has a predefined set of templates that can be readily used for our business, so we don't have to innovate much. These are some unique features about this tool.

How has it helped my organization?

Security: We do have cloud services. It's very difficult to control cloud vendors, when it is for security. But this tool conducts an independent audit and makes sure that security, identity and governance are in check every time.

What needs improvement?

This tool is more suited for the technical industries or it's more specific for technical security. However, now since new laws are coming out such as the GDP in Europe and the biometric laws, in order to secure patient data, IBM may have to innovate more and incorporate certain legislation / regulations into their tool. It should be readily available to the pharma companies, so that they don't need to struggle to make more templates and thus don't have to tailor it to our needs. It should be a custom off-the-shelf solution, i.e., COTS. So, they're looking for more innovations in that area.

We're just the earlier adoptors of this tool for now. We are in the pharma industry, so we have started doing pilots across different functions in the organization. It will take us around one or two years to come to a conclusion in regards to the stability of this solution.

It is a little bit too premature for me to comment on scalability but it is quite good, because they have already identified 10-11 projects that we we'll be using with this tool. So, we don't think scalability is going to be an issue.

We do use technical support. We are IBM customers and IBM controls our infrastructure for the company. We do use their technical and business analysts. They were very helpful and knowledgeable. They are prepared for the pharma industry. That is very important for us.

We were not previously using a different solution. IBM approached us with best practices and they conducted a survey. They control our infrastructure and security; they advised us in regards to the product. After a series of discussions, our management decided to go ahead with certain pilots, so as to see the efficiency and then finally decided on this solution.

We are a grounded manufacturing and pharma organization, thus we are looking for vendors with proven skill sets in that arena. We are bound by more regulations than any other industry, so we look for certain certifications that the vendor should have. They should be compliant with the USFDA guidelines, before we select a vendor. After we start evaluating vendors, it does depend on the versatility and the scalability of the solutions.

Currently, there are a couple of vendors in the shortlist. After we complete our pilot, we will be choosing one single vendor. We are a SAP shop for ERP, so we did have some discussions about the interoperability within IBM and SAP. I think both of them are good partners in that area. At this point, we are not looking for any other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

The solution seems to be very promising on paper, i.e., in theory, some things look good but practically, after we apply the solution in the next one or two years, we'll come to know more.

You should first conduct an assessment from IBM and the system should follow the selection of the tool. You should not just go by what you want, but instead by what you need. Most of the companies don't know what they need in terms of the security.