IBM QRadar Review

Enables us to stop and detect vulnerabilities

What is our primary use case?

The primary use of the solution in our deployment was for threat detection.

What is most valuable?

The first feature that I love to demonstrate for my customers is the fact that the vulnerability manager is integrated in QRadar SIEM. This lets us stop and detect vulnerability. The reports provide many methods to fix it. The circumvention method and the patch method is perfected very well in the QRadar area.

The second valuable feature is when we get events and make the correlation or rules. In IBM, we can implement our customer's rules. We can have very clear status threats and severity of antigens. The other fact I love about IBM is that we can integrate many other tiers solutions, such as Carbon Black and other plans.

What needs improvement?

The interface is very old. IBM should remake it into a more modern interface. I think this is the only thing they should improve on.

Another feature that would be nice is if it's possible to integrate some of the application style and configuration that is currently not easy to set up in the product. If it's possible to do that, it would be a major improvement.

In fact, I never got a road map to bring you from zero to the end. There should be information everywhere, from YouTube to any other places. It was very complicated to organize all the information in my head.

We've been using IBM QRadar for one and half years.

It's very stable. The only issue we can report about is a system issue. When the partition is full, the whole system shuts down. If some partition of the logs is not in QRadar, maybe we can't find any solution to do this from QRadar.
In fact, we observed that sometimes the systems are going down when a partition is up to 90%. This issue is related to Red Hat, also we observed this issue relating to logs TOMCAT, the /var/log be up to 100% quickly.

In my experience the upgrade, it could lead to some misconfiguration. We had this experience of disruption when upgrading the 7.2.7 to 7.2.9 and then 7.3.0.

We observed that some application and configuration needs to be redone. The scalability at this moment, because it's an older version, has some issues. Otherwise, I think scalability is excellent.

We don't use IBM Support. We communicate with Morocco Teams about this. When I have an issue, I post it and ask for the community, because I have an account in the IBM Community. The community is very, very knowledgeable and strong.

The setup is really very easy. It takes a few hours. The integration, orchestrating all the components to send logs to, etc., is very, very complicated. In the last setup we did for our customer, it took us four months to integrate. The setup, on the other hand, took only half a day.

What other advice do I have?

The first advice I give my customers before buying SIEM is: "You should understand the solution well before starting the implementation." If they don't understand the solution, they will never be able to use it correctly. This is the first piece. The second point is that they will resist the change made to the setup installation. If they look for the solution, QRadar ATM is the best.

I would rate this solution as nine out of ten. I think there is no perfect product; maybe there will never be a perfect product. When I started to learn IBM QRadar, it was complicated to me in the beginning, because we did the installation for the customer. It is complicated, and the meaning and training were not very clear.