IBM Rational ALM Review

Integration into our pipelines helps to identify pain points and streamline performance

What is our primary use case?

We are a central, systems integration team that provides different solutions to vendors and business partners. We have a lab available on-premises and we work with all of the latest tools available in the market. We integrate them into the pipelines, create new PoCs and use cases, and showcase the solutions to different clients. IBM Rational ALM is one of the solutions that we provide.

Our primary use case has to do with performance monitoring. We are trying to help our business users with their development and landscaping to identify exactly where their pain point areas are. Then we can help to fine-tune their applications, tools, and databases for the teams.

How has it helped my organization?

We are working on integrating this tool directly into our DevOps pipeline. Once this is done then we will be able to supply our clients with regular updates that tell them what to look at in order to improve performance.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the reporting of the CPU usage on the dashboard. If we have multiple jobs running it gives us information such as the number of jobs, in a particular timeslot. This allows us to focus on saving CPU time or perhaps other resources.

What needs improvement?

The stability of this solution can be improved.

IBM Rational ALM is mostly stable. Sometimes there are bugs but it's okay.

We are using the Community Edition rather than the Enterprise version, just to create PoCs, pipelines, and showcase them to the business. We have not tried to scale beyond this.

We have between 30 and 40 architects who are using it, and we are all involved in creating new solutions and new architectures.

We are satisfied with the technical support that we received from IBM.

We have used similar tools by Atlassian, CA, HP, and Micro Focus. We use some of these simultaneously with IBM.

The initial setup was done in collaboration with IBM Services.

What other advice do I have?

This is one of the tools that helps us to add value to businesses by fine-tuning systems and assessing pain point areas. By identifying exactly what needs to be looked at, it helps people to bring down the load on the system. Basically, this solution gives us an overall picture of what is happening in the system.