IBM Rational ClearQuest Review

Tracks change requests, problems, and physical asset management. I would like to see data type for floating point numbers.

What is most valuable?

The workflow feature with stateful record types and the ability to implement these rapidly in our project have been of value to us.

We’ve used the product to track change requests, problems, and physical asset management for a major railroad infrastructure project.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution we’re providing our client required the implementation of the workflow feature to complement their process. It allows us to assign responsibility to each step of the process in the change requests.

As for the assets, it allows us to establish the lifecycle of the assets.

What needs improvement?

The product has its quirks and limitations. For instance, there is no data type for floating point numbers. Only integer types are provided.

ClearQuest provides no support for Boolean (True/False) or Double (3.14) data types.

I’ve been using this solution since early 2013.

We have not had any issues with stability so far.

I haven’t gone through any scalability activities at the moment. Although, I don't think our WAN was adequate to achieve the performance we needed with ClearQuest.

Customer service has been adequate. Most of the times we've had any issues IBM has been able to provide a solution. We've dealt mostly with customer service representatives in Brazil.

Technical support from IBM is pretty good since you can create a PMR with them and they’re very responsible.

We didn’t have any previous solutions. This solution was required by our client. We developed it for them based on their requirements. The client felt the tool had a good reputation for implementing configuration management and requested it.

As far as the infrastructure setup, we’re using a somewhat straightforward setup. However, our use of the tool was somewhat complex, considering we haven’t seen the implementation we’ve setup anywhere else.

It’s very expensive, especially considering that there are much more economical options out there.

I was not given the option for alternative solutions. This solution was required by our client. I wouldn’t recommend it for the purpose for which they are using it.

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend this solution to others. It is not worth the cost.