IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation Review

It gives our team better visibility across life-cycle artifacts, but deploying the RRC add-in for browsers can be a real headache.

What is most valuable?

Support for text, rich text and graphical requirement documentation. Extensive traceability and analysis through artifact linking across requirements and other artifacts within the Jazz CLM solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us better transparency of required changes and better visibility for the team across life-cycle artifacts.

What needs improvement?

There's ongoing stability issues with the browser UI. Some cases of illogical restrictions on artifact views, RFEs, have been submitted to the vendor and are currently pending review by the development team.

I've used it for five years.

In certain instances of restrictive IT networks, with lack of elevated permissions for most users, deploying the RRC add-in for browsers can be a real headache, requiring multiple cycles of un-installing and reinstalling.

No issues encountered.

No issues encountered.

Very good customer support. Timely responses and updates.

Very good technical support. Timely responses and updates.

We used Legacy IBM Rational requirements management solution, RequisitePro.

It's slightly more complex than a Tomcat configuration due to a WAS and multi-server Jazz application configuration.

It was done in-house.

Definitely not the cheapest solution when it comes to licensing and at times confusing becuase of the various types offered (meaning what features and capabilities are available by type). Much more streamlined than years ago.

As a consultant, I was not part of the evaluation or decision making team. The solution was already in place.

What other advice do I have?

Try staying close to out-of-the-box in the initial usage, grow into more complex configurations and usage models if possible. If committing to a complex SDLC and automated life-cycle tools, then invest in education for all users. Do not waste the investment by assuming that the solution will be utilized by all without training.

2 Comments
author avatarSystem Engineering meets DOORS & DXL = Expert in all 3 at Raytheon

It looks like this review is relative to the IBM Rational DOORS Next Generation, formerly named Rational Requirements Composer (RRC) web based product versus the IBM Rational DOORS 'classic' product which has been around for 30 years and is currently up to version 9.6.1.

author avatarSr. Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees

Alex - That is correct, version 5.0.2 of RDNG not Doors 'classic'. I did not have control over the product title when approached to write the review, so that is definitely a great callout.

-Chris