IBM Rational DOORS Review

It has the capacity to manage traceability from one level of requirement to another but the user interface needs to improve

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of this solution is mainly to manage all of the requirements, from the user requirements to the system requirements to the sub-system requirements. Also to manage traceability, the baseline, and the different baselines of the requirement.

What is most valuable?

Traceability is the most valuable feature of this solution. I like that is has the capacity to manage traceability from one level of requirement to another.

What needs improvement?

The HMI is difficult to use and the user interface should be better.

I have been using IBM Rational DOORS for two to three years now.

The program is very stable.

It's a bit difficult to say how scalable this program is, because you are driven by the number of license that you have. I can't remember the model we're using, but I believe it is a floating license mode. Eventually, if you have too many people connected at the same time on IBM Rational DOORS, the last one can't access to the program. So the scalability is limited by the license scheme. We have around 10,000 users currently.

Our technical support is managed internally. We don't have access directly to IBM.

I did not manage the setup of the program, but I believe it is quite straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you have a high number of requirements to manage and if there is a need to sustain these baseline of requirements for a couple of years, it is the right solution for you. However, if you have a small project, it's not mandatory.

In the next release of this product I would like to see a better user interface. I would like it to have the capacity to include drawing and to produce KPIs on the requirement baseline. Also, the kind of dashboard is not very convenient.

On a scale from 1 to 10, I rate this product a seven.