IBM Rational Functional Tester Review

Automatically adapts to changes, saving time and effort, but mobile app support is needed

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution to test our website functionality.

How has it helped my organization?

Using this solution has saved me time and effort in writing tests, in particular for UI elements in websites.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the UI component tester. It analyzes the changes in UI elements and allows me to automatically adapt and change my automation testing.

This product can be integrated into other testing management products, such as IBM Rational Performance Tester, as part of the development lifecycle.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see the UI change analysis functionality for mobile apps.

I have been using IBM Rational Functional Tester for three to four years.

The stability is ok. Our usage is common and we have not experienced very many bugs or problems. It is used only on an occasional basis, for now. As we have been moving our product to a mobile environment, we are not using it as often. If in the future there is no support for mobile applications, then we will be using it less.

I think that scalability should be enhanced to support mobile applications.

We have fewer than ten people using this solution in my company.

The technical support for this solution is okay.

Prior to using IBM Rational Functional Tester, we used testing software by HP. It was the Unit Functional Tester and HP Quality Center that were later purchased by Micro Focus. I do not know the reasons that we switched to IBM.

The initial setup is a little bit complex. We searched online for some information to assist with the installation and configuration.

Many of my colleagues do not want to install the software on their PC. Rather, they want to use it from a web browser in client/server mode.

The deployment takes only five to ten minutes.

I installed this software on my own, as have many of my colleagues.

What other advice do I have?

As many of our products are moving from PC to mobile, the most important thing that this solution needs is mobile app support.

I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.