IBM Rational Functional Tester Review

Good coverage and compatibility with excellent stability

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database integration.

What is most valuable?

It is compatible with all sorts of Dark Net applications. Its coverage is very good.

The regression testing is very good.

What needs improvement?

If the solution is running on Linux, there are some issues around application compatibility.

There needs to be more effort made to make the solution more relevant to the application.

We have only been using the IBM Rational Functional Tester for 10 days now. It really hasn't been that long. It's a very new solution for us.

The solution is quite stable. We haven't run into issues to stability. We haven't faced any bugs or crashes.

The solution is very scalable. Companies can easily expand if they need to.

We use the solution on a daily basis. It's used quite often in our company.

We've been in touch with technical support and found them to be very helpful. We're satisfied with the level of support we've gotten so far. It is not user-dependent or region dependent. Wherever you are, you can take any support from the nearby region.

I've tried other solutions as well, but IBM is very good. We are very satisfied with IBM, though there are other similar tools available. The problem with them is that they do not cover many things the way IBM does. Often they do one task and then you have to connect them with something else in other to get what you need. It's much better to have a stable product with the full support and scalability required all in one place.

The initial setup was very simple. We didn't face any complexities and found it to be quite straightforward.

Deployment only took about two weeks for the light users. If a person installing the solution knows about something about automation, it can probably be done in two to three days.

We actually provide services so we won't use any help from any outside integrators or vendors.

Licensing is good but the prices for the products are expensive. A single-user license may go for something like $10,000 to $30,000. There are no additional costs, and support is included within that price.

Implementing it requires a real license. If you have more than two to three people, they can do it, but they can only use a single-user license. For the maintenance process, if there are one or two people available in our organization who look to handle three to six projects, they will each need a license and we'll divide the projects so one person will handle two to three projects themselves under their license.

What other advice do I have?

We're IBM partners, not resellers. We handle large-scale enterprise projects.

I can't recall what version number we have right now, but we are using the current version of RFT.

It is 100% compatible with all sorts of database integrations and is compatible with all types of open source TFT-based applications, which makes it a great product to have.

I'd advise others to first evaluate the product. IBM provides new users with a 30 or 60-day evaluation period whereby companies can try out the solution. Companies should leverage this and use the product and all of its tools. They will be able to make all sorts of scripts. It will give users a lot of good hands-on experience to get a feel for IBM. If it works well, they can then get a license.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten overall.

More IBM Rational Functional Tester reviews from users