IBM Rational Performance Tester Review

Its resource utilization is on the high side, but it helped identify performance bottlenecks.

What is most valuable?

Real time view and its inbuilt root cause analysis tools is something which I like the most. This feature is something unique to RPT when compared to other market leading tools like load runner.

How has it helped my organization?

Like any other performance testing tool, this helped us to identify performance bottlenecks in the application prior to the go live. It also helped us to identify and pinpoint the issues in the applications code by using its inbuilt root cause analysis tools.

What needs improvement?

User friendliness can be better, as this is one area where it lacks. More over the connectivity options with other IBM in-house products like Rational Clear Quest, IBM Tivoli and Rational Team Concert can be improved.

We've used it for two years.

Yes, the tool seems to be unstable/unresponsive sometimes. The resource utilization by the tool itself is on the higher side when compared to other tools in the market.

Customer support is above average to excellent.

I have used a variety of the tools that are available.

It was straightforward.

It was done in-house, and I would advise you to have more JVM memory allocated for this product than the default amount.

The pricing is similar to Load Runner but the package for virtual user licencing is different. I would recommend this tool for small businesses with only web applications for performance testing.

This tool was the only option with the customer withwhom I worked with.