IBM Rational Performance Tester Review

Its resource utilization is on the high side, but it helped identify performance bottlenecks.

Valuable Features:

Real time view and its inbuilt root cause analysis tools is something which I like the most. This feature is something unique to RPT when compared to other market leading tools like load runner.

Improvements to My Organization:

Like any other performance testing tool, this helped us to identify performance bottlenecks in the application prior to the go live. It also helped us to identify and pinpoint the issues in the applications code by using its inbuilt root cause analysis tools.

Room for Improvement:

User friendliness can be better, as this is one area where it lacks. More over the connectivity options with other IBM in-house products like Rational Clear Quest, IBM Tivoli and Rational Team Concert can be improved.

Use of Solution:

We've used it for two years.

Stability Issues:

Yes, the tool seems to be unstable/unresponsive sometimes. The resource utilization by the tool itself is on the higher side when compared to other tools in the market.

Customer support is above average to excellent.

Previous Solutions:

I have used a variety of the tools that are available.

Initial Setup:

It was straightforward.

Implementation Team:

It was done in-house, and I would advise you to have more JVM memory allocated for this product than the default amount.

Cost and Licensing Advice:

The pricing is similar to Load Runner but the package for virtual user licencing is different. I would recommend this tool for small businesses with only web applications for performance testing.

Other Solutions Considered:

This tool was the only option with the customer withwhom I worked with.